Today is a super-fun, annual tradition for my friend, Julie and me. Our “friend-aversary” is on Cow Appreciation Day, which is held each July at Chick-fil-A restaurants. The store gives a free entree to people who wear a partial cow costume and a FREE COMBO to those that wear a full costume.
We use the costume they let you download from their site and we try to hit a different location for each meal–breakfast, lunch and dinner. It’s CFA overload and it’s a great time for us and our littles.
See you there!
So, last night I created what Christian on “Clueless” would call a ‘Monet.” Looks good from far, but up close, what a mess.
My friend Beky hosted a painting party, where each attendee is given the supplies to create the same painting (at right).
For a gallery of my progress and the other attendees final product, see below.
This cover of the song, originally by Maxwell, is so beautiful. This song came to me randomly, two days in a row, via different venues. I think that’s enough to rule this my official July song obsession.
The rest of this EP “Covers” is worth a listen, too.
I moved to Atlanta, Georgia from southern California in 2001. I then moved to North Augusta, South Carolina in 2004. With 10-plus years in the south, I am still appreciative of some of the special things that make this area so special. There are so many awesome things that I never saw, tasted or experienced until my early 20s.
I’m not an artful writer, so I’ll make a list instead.
- Mist on rivers
- Casseroles (green bean, hash brown, sweet potato, sour cream chicken)
- Hush puppies
- Fireflies (I think they are called lightning bugs here). I thought these were not actually real. I know that sounds funny, but I’d never seen one and it just had never come up
- Warm ocean water – I knew this was in the tropics, but am so pleased to be able to experience this each summer, without a plane ride
- Cardinals – our yard has these beautiful red birds, along with deer, squirrels, raccoons, the occasional possum and one goofy, doofus of a dog
- Pimento cheese – I’m a fan of the old Master’s pimento cheese, before they changed it. My newest favorite brand is Palmetto Pimento Cheese. So good…
- Traditions – from taking your maiden name as you middle when you marry to exceptional manners, southern people have a way of cherishing family and their culture in a very special way
Even with the GIANT bugs and humidity, I feel blessed to call the south my home. I love it here!