I am more than a little proud of myself. Instead of dreading my birthday like I did the past two years, I’ve decided to just go with it. A few things have happened recently that helped me to realize that I AM GETTING OLDER and I can fight it, or figure it out.
Weird Things/Surprises About Being An Adult
- Jersey Shore and other MTV shows bother me. I used to watch all of them.
- I have an “investments guy.” Because someday I’m going to be (gasp) old.
- I saw a recent headline “Justin Beiber tweets at the little girl who was nominated for an Oscar for True Grit.” This is news, really?
- I love being a stay-at-home mom. I never, never thought this would be me–but it really is a perfect fit.
- There is a scene in the movie “Date Night” where the mom says her fantasy is to be alone in a air conditioned, quiet hotel room with a diet Sprite. I totally get it.
- I miss being bored and lazy Saturdays.
- My favorite material possession is a robot vacuum.
- The most fun thing at Christmas really WAS the gift giving. For real.
- I think that most current R&B sounds the same and I long for the hits of my youth, like Bobby Brown and Janet.
- I miss driving my truck but I am glad we still own it.
- The amount of “multi-vitamins” I take each day. Why can’t they just put it all in one?
Things I Need to Work On (STILL)
- Being secure in who I am and accept that I can’t be best pals with everyone I want to invest in.
- Being disciplined about bedtime and waking (it’s been since I was a teen, so I’ve not progressed here much).
- Asking for help when I need it.
- Keeping up the house/laundry.
- LOTS MORE!!!!!!
It’s time to celebrate, not make a list of all my flaws, right?
Good Things About My Life
- I’m more often able to recognize when to be okay with an unresolved relationship and know that I did what I could to repair it.
- I like my taste in clothes, home decor, music, etc. very much. And I’m less worried if others will think it’s “uncool.”
- My student loan is gone, both cars are paid for, we are working toward the house now.
- I am a MOM and a WIFE! Thank you Lord for these gifts.
- I can better prioritize our family and commitments.
- Working out at the gym 3 – 4 times a week.
- Times when I actually pray alone and spend time in the Word.
There is more I can add to this list. Growing older with Wes, starting a family, everything is full of ups, downs and surprises. But man, am I enjoying the ride!